THE Magpies took their fourth point of the season from Sutton United after this goalless draw at the Avenue Stadium.

Sutton carved out the majority of goal attempts but found keeper Alan Walker-Harris and his reshuffled defence, without the injured Mark Jermyn, in determined mood.

Exeter loanee Elliott Chamberlain made his first start for the club, following his arrival from the Grecians and it was the Magpies who settled first.

Jamie Gleeson went close to opening the scoring in just the fourth minute but his 25-yard drive whistled just past the post.

Shortly after, a foul by Damian Scannell on Sam Lanahan conceded a free-kick which Charlie Losasso took from a wide right position but the U’s keeper Jason Brown made a comfortable save.

After that, it was largely one way traffic in terms of scoring opportunities. James Taylor raced on to a through ball but Walker-Harris clawed aside his shot. The loose ball fell for Craig Dundas, whose looping header was fortunately directed straight back to the out of position keeper.

A drive from Gavin McCallum was scooped up at his near post by the Dorchester gloveman who then pushed away a thunderous effort from Taylor and also a follow-up shot.

At the other end, Ryan Case tried his luck from 40 yards but the ball flew wide of the target.

Walker-Harris was called back into action six minutes from the interval when McCallum again forced a near post save.

Another punched clearance fell to Scannell, whose hooked effort veered wide.

In first half stoppage time, the Magpies’ keeper again opted to punch clear a free-kick from Scannell. The ball was returned to the penalty area by Lee Sawyer and met by Louis John whose side-foot attempt was intercepted by Jake McCarthy.

It was much the same story after the break with Sutton squandering chances and Dor-chester defending superbly.

Spillane was first to try his luck with a 47th minute shot from 18 yards, which was gathered by Walker-Harris. The Sutton man then picked up a clearance from Walker but hit his effort wide.

McCarthy was well placed to block a shot from Taylor while Dale Binns fired high and wide.

A free-kick from Taylor was then met by Will Spetch who headed straight into the arms of Walker-Harris.

Dorchester fans gathered behind Brown’s goal were seeing very little close up action but a right-wing cross from Case found Warren Byerley whose header was caught by the Sutton keeper.

But it was the visitors who went closest to grabbing victory when Walker-Harris again pushed away a Scannell drive and the loose ball fell for Sawyer whose goalbound shot was cleared off the line by Walker.

Substitute Kane Haysman sent a 20-yard effort over the crossbar, Binns had a header blocked and John glanced wide as Sutton upped the pressure.

A fierce shot from Dundas was parried by Walker-Harris but Haysman could only despatch the ball wide.

The Magpies held on and even enjoyed the last shot of the game but a free-kick from Case in the third minute of stoppage time was aimed too close to Brown.

Magpies: Walker-Harris 9, Case 7, Smeeton 8, McCarthy 8, N Walker 8, Lanahan 7, Crittenden 8 (Twyford 83), Gleeson 7, Chamberlain 6 (S Walker 90+3), Byerley 6, Losasso 6. Subs not used: Makoni, Munday, Way.

Sutton: Brown, John, Binns, Spillane, Downer, Spetch, Scanell, Sawyer (Haysman 76), Dundas, Taylor, McCallum (Sinclair 61). Subs not used: Cole, Lovelock.

Bookings – Magpies: N Walker (foul, 64) Sutton: Spillane (ungentlemanly conduct, 71), Scanell (foul, 69), Sinclair (foul, 67).

Referee: Andrew Laver (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 456