WEYMOUTH have the Hampshire League Two title in their sights after winning promotion with a superb victory at Havant.

Weymouth’s rivals, Bournemouth were beaten 1-0 by Ports-mouth University, a result which allowed the Seasiders to move two points clear at the top, so that a win or a draw in their final game of the season will ensure they finish as champions.

Weymouth were without midfielder Matt Lawes who, despite recovering from a broken finger, picked up a knee injury in training.

Otherwise the away team were at full strength and put on a ruthless attacking performance in which forward Luke Drewitt and midfielder and man of the match Steven Membury picked up four goals apiece.

Weymouth opened their account when Drewitt struck in the Havant circle to complete his first of the day.

Drewitt went on to score all four of his goals in the first half with two more coming from Chris Fry and one from Patrick May as Weymouth consistently attacked in numbers to keep possession in their attacking half.

Membury joined the party and went on to score his four goals within 20 minutes of the restart. Several goals came from turn-overs in possession as Weymouth continued to mount pressure on the Havant defence.

Among Membury’s rampant display, Havant scored in bizarre fashion on 70 minutes when Weymouth keeper David Civil was caught napping and got a faint touch on his kicker as a ball was played from outside of the circle.

The own goal stood on the basis of a rule due to end at the beginning of next season.

Havant then doubled their tally with a more conventional finish – a drag flick at a penalty corner, high to Civil’s right.

Forward Andrew Stiles then completed the scoring when he pounced on a lifted ball played across goal by captain Simon Harvey.

Harvey praised his side for the sustained energy levels they showed in a game that was arguably put to bed in the first quarter.

He said: “It is promising to see that the boys already have one eye on next season and are relishing the challenge of making a name for themselves in that league. “Given that the opportunity to finish as champions tomorrow is now solely in our hands.

“We will throw everything into the game and hopefully end the season on an even bigger high.”

A full strength Weymouth side will face Tadley tomorrow at Redlands (2pm) and welcome fans to cheer them on to promotion back into Hampshire Division One, where they have not played since the 2008/09 season, and hopefully the league title to boot.

Weymouth: Civil, Gill, Westlake, Underhill, Harvey, Bowles, Bell, Membury, Jones, Fry, Drewitt, May, Stiles.

Man of the Match: Steven Membury