WEYMOUTH ended their East Division season on a high with an 8-0 thrashing of Yeovil and Sherborne to secure them fourth place in the standings.

The hosts got the strong start they were looking for and they opened the scoring when Lara Blundell tapped in a cross from Emily Austin at the far post.

A second goal arrived soon after and it was Anneka Rogers who converted following a short corner.

Weymouth continued to apply pressure and Chloe Carter-Miles’ sweetly-struck shot from the right found the net.

Positive half-time chats with coach Andy Stiles led to Wey-mouth being more aggressive in the second half.

A fourth goal came from some excellent creative play between Rogers, Emily Austin and Lynda Drewitt, who beat the keeper.

The defence pushed the ball deep into the Yeovil half and a breakaway in midfield created a chance for Rachael Bustin, which was saved by the keeper.

But Rogers wasn’t far behind and she collected the rebound in mid-air to sneak it past the keeper for 5-0.

Goal number six was scored by skipper Austin with a reverse stick shot, Drewitt shrugged off two Yeovil defenders for the seventh and Bustin made it 8-0.

Weymouth were elated with a well-deserved victory and fourth place in the league overall.

Weymouth: Austin, Rogers, Craven, Riddler, Butcher, Culbreath, Brazier, Foot, Carter-Miles, Blundell, Bustin, Drewitt.

Players of the match: Olivia Culbreath and Jo Brazier.


GOALS from Leify Hendrikz and Claire Thomasson gave Wey-mouth victory in their final Channel Division Two fixture of the campaign.

Weymouth attacked from the outset and Thomasson and Hendrikz were unlucky not to break the deadlock early on.

The home side broke through the middle but their attacking threats were seen off by defenders Bernie John and Jo Ray, while Alex Hearn delivered a blistering performance in her last match for Weymouth.

Luce Byrne then counter- attacked, crossing the ball into the opposing D to Hendrikz who scored with a sweeping shot.

The home side reacted, drawing a short corner, but were prevented from levelling by goalkeeper Anna Neish.

Weymouth kept up the tempo as Anna Dencher and Annabel Can-aven took play up the right wing, only for Dencher to be denied several times by the home keeper.

Gina Huntley and Claire Horne were solid in the centre, intercepting several Yeovil passes to maintain possession.

Also in her final match for Weymouth was Dervla Ireland, who won several short corners in quick succession.

With just minutes to go, Thom-asson ran into an empty D and beat the keeper to make it 2-0.

Yeovil had one last attack but the departing Ireland was there to see off the danger.

This result leaves Weymouth in third place.