DORCHESTER Town now need a miracle if they are to survive in Skrill South.

Two goals midway through the second half at Kingfield Stadium condemned the struggling Magpies to defeat and leaves them 11 points adrift of safety.

Dorchester had enjoyed a good start to the match but failed to take advantage of possession and the chances that came their way.

The Magpies were without several first-team regulars – Mark Jermyn, Nick Crittenden and Jamie Gleeson but striker Warren Byerley made the reshuffled starting line-up after recovering from injury.

An early free-kick from Charlie Losasso required home keeper Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz to punch clear, then Elliott Chamberlain’s low cross from the left found Byerley who rattled the side-netting with a near post flick.

The hosts’ first threat came in the 10th minute when Andrew Musunga produced a cross from the right but Freddie Lapado could only pull his shot wide of goal.

Play soon swung to the other end and Losasso set up Chamber-lain with a fine through ball but the Exeter City loan striker also dragged his shot wide of the far post.

Ben Brown then sent two long- range efforts over.

Two other attempts from Lad-apo and Musunga were blocked in front of goal by Nathan Walker as Hayes began to exert more pressure.

A cross from Niall McManus looked inch-perfect but somehow Pat Cox failed to connect with only Alan Walker-Harris to beat.

Masunga and Byerley both had chances but failed to hit their respective targets while the former also fired over after a Nathan Walker clearance fell kindly to him.

Early in the second half, Byerley won a free-kick, which Ryan Case took but Jaimez-Ruiz made a comfortable save.

Probably the best chance for the Magpies fell to Chamberlain, who made a strong run down the left flank then cut inside, but rather than try his luck with a shot opted to find Losasso but the pass was easily cut out by the home defence.

Jaimez-Ruiz then produced a vital punched clearance from a Losasso corner which would otherwise have been met by the lurking Jake Smeeton.

The breakthrough came out of the blue for Hayes, who won possession in midfield, and substitute Rashid Yussuff produced a pin-point cross to the far post for Cox to fire past Walker-Harris.

Steve Walker then cleared the ball away in front of goal as Yussuff continued to pose a threat.

Another Yussuff cross was met by Cox but he stabbed the ball wide while Luke Williams hit the side-netting with a low shot from 12 yards.

But the second goal was carved out by Williams on 78 minutes when his free-kick was brought down by skipper Dean Inman who then wrong-footed Walker-Harris with a shot with the outside of the foot which flew just inside the near post.

As Hayes’ confidence continued to soar, Cox rounded Losasso but was denied by a near post interception from Steve Walker.

In the closing minutes, substitute Clive Makoni headed wide for Dorchester, whose efforts were again destined to go unrewarded.

Hayes: Jaimez-Ruiz, Brown, Everitt, Harriott, Gerring, Inman (Mills 89), McManus, Williams, Cox, Ladapo (English 87), Musunga (Yussuff 60). Subs not used: Akubeine, Crowley

Magpies: Walker-Harris 8, Case 6 (Munday 68), Twyford 6, S Walker 8, N Walker 8, McCarthy 7, Lanahan 6 (Smith 76), Smeeton 7, Chamberlain 6, Byerley 7 (Makoni 85), Losasso 7. Subs not used: Tennant, Murphy

Bookings: Hayes – None.

Magpies – Smeeton (foul, 70)

Referee: Lee Venamore (Maidstone)

Attendance: 107