TWO goals in the space of 17 first-half minutes meant that Weymouth lost their second game in four days, as they succumbed to a lacklustre defeat against Truro City.

With many of the current Terras’ squad former Tigers’ players, it was not a happy return to Treyew Road for the likes of Stewart Yetton, Adam Kelly, Isaac Vassell as well as substitutes Scott Walker and Barry McCon-nell.

Player-manager Jason Matth-ews was forced into making one change from the side that lost at Hungerford Town at the weekend.

With Charlie Holland still suffering from the cut on his head that he sustained on Saturday, defender Lee Sharpe moved into Matthews’ starting XI and Sam Poole took his place on the bench.

And it was Truro who had the first half-chance of the contest.

Matthews was called into action in the opening two minutes when he comfortably gathered Aaron Pugh’s tame header.

Then Yetton, on his comeback, only took eight minutes to make his mark on the ground at which he had scored so many goals for the hosts.

In a neat Terras’ move, George Rigg played the ball down the left flank for Vassell, who saw his cross tipped on to the crossbar by goalkeeper Grant Fisher.

The ball then fell to the prolific Yetton, who could not miss as he tapped in from close range to put his side ahead.

City then responded and Neil Slateford had a golden opportunity to draw things level but he could not keep his shot down and blasted over at the far post from Cody Cooke’s cross.

Cooke himself was then denied by Matthews, before the hosts drew level with 24 minutes on the clock.

After Jacob Jagger-Cane was cautioned for a foul on the right- hand side, Shane White’s free-kick was allowed to bounce in the area by the Terras and striker Les Afful found himself in the right place to find the net from six-yards out.

Having equalised, the hosts then started to exert more pressure and had a lengthy spell of dominance as skipper Paul Ken-dall got on the end of a corner from Jamie Lowry, but could not direct his header on target.

Midfielder White then struck a rasping volley at the Terras’ goal, but Matthews pulled off a re-markable stop to keep the scores level.

However, the Weymouth boss could not do anything to deny the hosts turning things around and taking the lead on 41 minutes.

After Slateford dispossessed Jagger-Cane and surged to the edge of the area, he pulled the trigger and the ball flew past the sprawling Terras’ stopper and into the net to put Truro ahead at the interval.

Yetton then had a glorious chance to make it 2-2 after he pulled away from his defender in the area, only to see his header smartly saved by Fisher.

The goalkeeper was also on hand to push away another shot from the Weymouth skipper minutes later.

Truro then made their first change as scorer Slateford was replaced by Ben Watson, and the swap nearly paid instant dividends after the former Magpie struck a low drive straight at Matthews.

With minutes to go, the night then got worse for the Terras as they were reduced to 10 men.

Defender Jake Green, who had been booked just eight minutes previously by referee Ian Roberts, was given his marching orders for allegedly using foul and abusive language towards the referee’s assistant.

The result means that Truro are now officially safe from relegation from the Southern Premier League and Weymouth remain in 10th position in the table.

* In the Toolstation Western Division, Trevor Senior’s Bridport suffered a 4-2 defeat at Odd Down.

Truro: Fisher, Parcell, Daw, Kendall, Pugh, White, D Green, Lowry, Afful (Copp 89), Cooke (Eddy 77), Slateford (Watson 65). Sub not used: Berrow

Terras: Matthews, Sharpe (Ford 73), J Green, Colwell, Hutchings, Richards, Kelly (Poole 85), Jagger-Cane (Walker 62), Yetton, Rigg, Vassell Subs not used: M Walker, McConnell

Bookings: Truro – White (foul, 59), Lowry (foul, 64), D Green (foul, 81)

Terras – Jagger-Cane (foul, 23), J Green (foul, 81), Rigg (dissent, 90)

Sent off: Terras – J Green (foul and abusive language, 89)

Referee: Ian Roberts (Redruth)

Attendance: 346