WEYMOUTH signed off their Southern Premier League campaign with an end-of-season stalemate against high-flying Chesham United at the Meadow.

With the Terras having nothing to play for other than a place in the division’s top 10 and hosts Chesham already claiming a play-off berth prior to kick-off, the game could have petered out into insignificance.

But that is simply not the attitude that Jason Matthews’ men possess and, after the home side were reduced to 10 men midway through the second period, the Terras almost ended their indifferent season on a high note as they pushed forward for a late winner.

Matthews shuffled his pack for the final game of the season and brought Sam Poole back into the starting line-up in place of Michael Walker, who did not feature on the bench for the visitors.

Adam Kelly and Jacob Jagger-Cane, pictured, also returned to the XI after their recent injury troubles to replace the suspended Jake Green and Barry McCon-nell, who featured in his last game for the club from the bench.

Following the five-goal horror show against Truro City last time out, Matthews called for his side to keep things tight and organised, and they certainly answered the request having dealt with a bombardment of corners in a fairly turgid opening 45 minutes.

Chesham, who have been in free-scoring form producing over 100 goals in the league this season, failed to really trouble Terras’ stopper Matthews throughout the opening period.

After former Cardiff and Birmingham City defender Darren Purse had sauntered forward and ballooned his shot out of the stadium midway through the first-half, the two best chances came to midfielder James Potton, who looked the most likely to make things happen from either side.

He found half a yard to hit the ball at Matthews, who comfortably saved with 35 minutes on the clock, and the midfielder smash-ed the ball narrowly wide of the mark shortly after.

As they absorbed a fair amount of pressure, the Terras struggled to work Generals’ goalkeeper and captain Shane Gore with anything of any note.

Isaac Vassell, on the final game of his loan spell with the club, did have a shout for a penalty as he went down in the box five minutes before the break, but it seemed more out of hope rather than expectation.

Following the interval, Vassell was involved once again as he tried to recreate the strikes he hit so sweetly to find the net at the start of his spell with the club, but could not get it right as the ball travelled harmlessly over the top of Gore’s goal on 50 minutes.

Kelly was then taken off as a precaution just short of the hour mark with his hamstring causing him some discomfort once again, but what seemed a fairly calm and mellow contest was suddenly hoisted into obscurity.

Out of nowhere, Chesham’s top scorer Drew Roberts wildly threw a flailing arm on the turn which struck the nose of George Rigg, giving referee Bushell no choice but to brandish a red card for the striker.

Rigg soon had to be replaced after suffering with a spout of dizziness and a cut to the nose that will show up on any end-of-season photos, as McConnell came on to make his final appearance for the last 15 minutes.

With a man advantage, the Terras could sense a scalp was on the cards as they surged forward in search of an effort to break the deadlock, and it was Vassell who had the best two chances at the death to make things happen.

Bearing down on goal twice within moments of each other, the youngster could not compose himself with options around him and failed to find the target with the best chance of the game.

In some ways, the final chance of the season summed up the entirety of the Terras’ 12th placed campaign.

Nearly, but not quite.

Chesham: Gore, Kyriacou, Little, Gordon (Graham 69), Purse, Thomas (Proper 69), Fotheringham, Potton (Hamilton 75), Effiong, Roberts, Wilson. Subs not used: Brathwaite, Brown.

Terras: Matthews, Hutchings, Wells (Ford 79), Colwell, Poole, Richards, Kelly (Sharpe 58), Jagger-Cane, Yetton, Rigg (McConnell 74), Vassell. Sub not used: Greeno.

Bookings: Chesham – None Terras – Hutchings (foul, 70), Poole (foul, 77) Sent off: Chesham – Roberts, (violent conduct, 64) Referee: D Bushell Attendance: 391