PORTLAND Town ended their season by raising £777 in aid of Great Ormond Street Hospital and the club’s youth section, with the staging of the Ricol Leisure Cup at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

The youngsters kicked off proceedings with a mini soccer game between the club’s under-8s and under-9s.

Following that, the first semi-final of the competition got underway with Portland Town A team taking on a B team, managed by Town’s Pete Williams and Ben White respectively.

The B team ran out 1-0 winners thanks to a goal in the first minute of the second half by Paul Cole, after he was put through by manager White.

The second semi-final then saw the club’s reserve team, managed by John Chester, defeat the first team 2-0. Goals in the second half from Steve Reid and Alex Counter proved enough to see them into the final.

Before the final took place, there was also a fund-raising game in aid of Great Ormond Street Hospital between the staff of the Dorchester Premier Inn and a Portland Town XI managed by Anthony Desmond.

Town went 1-0 ahead at the break thanks to a well-taken goal by Justin Hunt.

But the lead was short-lived as the Premier Inn replied straight from the kick-off when Danny Sheppard lobbed the goalkeeper and the game eventually went to penalties.

First up for Portland was Harry Carter, who duly made it 1-0 and Premier Inn skipper Alex Gor-man converted from the spot to make it level. Ben White then made it 2-1 to Town but up stepped Jess Hodinott to make it 2-2.

Al Wilson then gave hosts Portland the lead again until another lady Premier Inn player in Imogen Crump converted to draw things level once again.

And when Paul White restored the islanders’ advantage, both Steve Wedlake and Chris Foxley missed for the Premier Inn as Portland claimed a 4-3 penalty victory.

The main cup final then took place between the club’s B team and reserves. This was a good contest with Mike O’Donovan opening the scoring early on for the B team with a superb effort from outside the box.

Danny Holden then levelled for the reserves with a fine header moments later.

A hat-trick from prolific striker Cole saw the B team look likely winners as they took a 4-1 lead.

That was until Edd Barber popped up with a fantastic brace with a volley and a bullet header that gave the reserves some hope.

And with the last kick of the game, Alex Counter got the equaliser to take the tie to penalties with the scores level at 4-4.

The B team were all on target with their spot-kicks and only Holden from the reserves missed, meaning the cup this season when to Ben White’s B team.

A spokesman said: “The club would like to thank every person involved on the day and a give a huge thanks to Weymouth FC for all of their help.”