By Tim Beavis



DORCHESTER started their season with an outstanding game of rugby which went right down to the last kick of the match.

The game started in lively fashion with both sides looking to play with ambition but after only five minutes Dorchester’s young fly half Alex Peel suffered a serious knee injury and had to be stretchered off.

Clearly suffering from the disruption the hosts immediately conceded a converted try. As the new half-back combination settled down Dorchester worked their way back into the game and James Baker crossed in the right-hand corner following good work by Jamie Morgan.

The hosts looked to be in control but they then conceded a sloppy try, Bournemouth's players reacting quicker as the ball slipped out of the side of a Dorchester scrum. The successful conversion extended the visitors’ lead to nine points.

Again, Dorchester hit back as a move straight off the training field saw Baker slice through midfield to score between the posts. The conversion was a formality and the half-time whistle blew with Dorchester just two points adrift at 14-12.

Bournemouth then seized the initiative with two tries in five minutes, scoring one in the corner and the other after a defensive mix-up.

But Dorchester, inspired by the returning Sam Jones, fought their way back into the game. Jones charged down a clearance kick, regathered and set off for the left corner. He was stopped inches short but the referee considered the tackle to be too high and awarded a penalty try.

With five minutes left Baker again broke through the visitors defence only to be tackled a yard short but Sam Jones was hand to pick and force his way over. The conversion slipped wide leaving Dorchester still two points behind.

In a frantic ending Dorchester were awarded a penalty for an offence at the breakdown 30 metres out. Baker took on the responsibility and his kick bisected the posts.

After the game coach Ben Parker said: “I think this was the start we needed, against a very strong Bournemouth side.

"The lads showed team work, determination and positivity to secure our game target of five points. At times we made some silly mistakes which gifted the opposition two simple tries making the game very tight. We will go away and work on this for the next game and set our standards higher. Our man of the match for me was Harry Wheeler, with a solid performance from the youngest member of our squad”

“It was disappointing however not to be able to put out a Second XV side against our near neighbours Puddletown. We had low availability, mainly due to a number of players attending a local festival.”

Dorchester: T Evans, Gale, Cottell, Makepeace, L King, C Harries, Jones, Tucker, Clark, Peel, Baker, Wheeler, Morgan, Moss, Read, Rawles, Mullins, T Gower.