Hill 41, Pollard 90+3


Bailey 20, Hebditch 81 (aet, Shepton win 3-1 on penalties)

BRIDPORT suffered a late equaliser from a penalty, before going on to lose in a shoot-out against Shepton Mallet in the Les Phillips Cup quarter-final.

Goals from Leigh Bailey and Richard Hebditch saw Bridport twice take the lead, but on both occasions were pegged back late on as extra-time loomed.

When the penalties came, a battling Bridport side were swiped aside 3-1 to end their Les Phillips Cup hopes in a match that had been rescheduled to be at Shepton on the day due to a sodden pitch at St Mary’s Field.

Bridport started well and scored in the first 20 minutes as Andy Martin whipped a free-kick into the Shepton box and Bailey scored with a diving header to hand the Bees the lead.

The visitors were on top and Chris McGrath had an opportunity with a header at the back post and Kameron Andrews had a couple of chances and Mark Salter forced the home goalkeeper to be alert.

After 41 minutes however, Bridport helped their opponents get back into it as they gave away a soft free-kick near the corner.

Bridport cleared the ball in but from the clearance, Tom Hill volleyed it back in from 20 yards to ensure the two sides went in level at the break.

Shepton seemed inspired and were on top for the first 15 minutes of the second half but Bridport grew back into the game.

The Dorset side went in front again as substitute Ed Butcher worked well down the left and pulled the ball back for Hebditch to fire home with 10 minutes to go.

The Bees were denied the win with moments left on the clock as they gave away a penalty which was dispatched by Tyson Pollard to force extra time.

Bridport responded well and showed their fitness, with Butcher going close in the first half after a ball from Salter.

Salter in the second half tried to chip the keeper but could not get the desired connection on the ball.

The away side could not force their way through and penalties loomed.

From here, Butcher scored his penalty but Bridport could not get another past as Shepton ran out 3-1 winners.

Bridport manager Adam Fricker said: “I think if we had gone in 1-0 up at half-time we would have been on the front foot a lot more in the second half but we gave them that bit of belief that they could get back into it.”

“Performance wise it was excellent but I am obviously bitterly disappointed, it is a lottery when you get to penalties. It was a tough one to take, to be fair.”

Bridport entertain Cribbs tomorrow (7.45pm).

Bees: Hutchings, Bailey, Rutter, McGrath, Martin, Symes, Thomas (Cornish 85), Andrews (Butcher 70), Hebditch (Peach 81), Latas, Salter