Kingston hit for six and crash out to Yeovil

WILLING RUNNER: Gareth Will, left, battles for the ball

WILLING RUNNER: Gareth Will, left, battles for the ball

First published in Sport


KINGSTON Maurward College bowed out of the English Schools’ FA Cup after this first-round defeat at the hands of Yeovil, writes Cameron Lucas.

The county town team were hoping to build on the previous week’s eight-goal victory over Weymouth College but the under-18 competition ruled out the majority of their first-team regulars.

With eight players making their debut, it was always going to prove a difficult encounter.

The visitors held their own for the first 20 minutes but Yeovil then broke the deadlock with a well-taken effort.

The Kings’ tast was made even trickier when Brandon Heal was sent off for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Man of the match Nathan Ball made a great save from the subsequent penalty but didn’t get the help he needed from the rebound and Yeovil made it 2-0.

Two early goals in the second half put the Somerset side four ahead and this left Maurward with a mountain to climb.

The 10-men continued to fight valiantly but two late efforts secured a comprehensive victory for Yeovil.

Coach Steve Thompson said: “It was a frustrating match with a very frustrating red card, which ended any slight hopes of winning the game.”

n The second team bounced back from their 9-0 defeat against Somerset College with an emphatic 10-3 victory over Wilt-shire College.

Due to the restrictions imposed on the first team for their ESFA Cup match, the Kings’ second-string were heavily bolstered.

Wiltshire made a lively start and within the first minute they exposed some sloppy defending to take an early lead.

However, KMC levelled when a well-worked move was finished off by Orrin Newbury and then Jake Gilbert tucked home for 2-1.

Two more followed in quick succession before Wiltshire responded by closing the deficit. But in a frantic seven-minute spell, the Kings added three further goals to open up a 7-2 cushion.

Just before the break, Wiltshire responded by grabbing a third but that was as good as it got.

Max Buckler’s second of the match restored the five-goal advantage before a ninth was added and then Gilbert completed his hat-trick to round off a fine display.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree