When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Biddlecombe – Backing King has paid dividends
NIGEL Biddlecombe reckons recent results have vindicated the decision to stick with Brendon King as manager.
The Weymouth chairman also believes the relatively inexperienced boss deserves more respect, particularly after having his position called into question back in early November.
Biddlecombe, who has seen King lead the Terras to within a point of the play-offs in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division in recent weeks, told Echosport: “Looking at how things stand at the moment, I think it vindicates the decision to give Brendon and the players the chance to sort things out.
“The football we played at the start of the season was excellent without always getting the results but since then we have learned to win ugly as well, so overall I am very happy.
“I also think Brendon has proved that he is tactically better than people give him credit for.
“His decision to switch the system and bring in Ashley Wells as a sweeper has been a fantastic move but we have got a hard month coming up.
“If we can get to the end of January still around the top seven or eight I would be delighted.”
Biddlecombe has also been overjoyed with the amount of support the club has been receiving recently both on matchdays and off the pitch. He went on to add: “It has been a fantastic last month or so.
“The club has pulled in more sponsorship from the likes of Comer Homes and we have also been getting some decent crowds despite the bad weather.
“The only downside has been the injury to Scott Walker, which does not look as bad as first feared, and the sad passing of Stan Charlton, which was a big blow.
“That aside, everything has been progressing nicely and hopefully we will get another good attendance in on Tuesday night for what should be a cracking game against Leamington.
“It has been great seeing some old faces return to the club and I would also like to say a huge thank you to all the officials and volunteers who have worked so hard on the pitch because they have done a fantastic job.”
The club has also started planning for next season and it appears new deals could be in the pipeline for several of the current playing staff. Possible summer signings are also being identified as the Terras continue to look to strengthen.
Finally, talks surrounding the possible relocation of the ground appear to have slowed down. When asked for an update, Biddlecombe said: “There is nothing new to report. No discussions are taking place with Morgan Sindall at this time but we have written to them and are awaiting answers to our letter.”