FOOTBALL: Last-gasp Taylor rocks the House

Dorset Echo: HAND OFF: Balti’s Russell Green and the Roos’ Adam Billings HAND OFF: Balti’s Russell Green and the Roos’ Adam Billings


THE Kangaroos’ excellent run of form continued as they visited Division One leaders Balti House in the third round of the Senior Trophy.

A last-gasp header from Tay- lor Quinton was enough to send the county town side into the quarter-finals of the competition.

The Roos started the match on the front foot and looked to put pressure on their hosts right from the off, and their attacking pace of seemed to unsettle Balti’s back line.

Quinton had the first chance when a great ball from Jamie Samways set him up with a one-on-one chance and he was only denied by a great save from the Balti keeper.

The rebound fell to the un-marked Ash White but his effort just missed the target. Ross Foot then got in behind Balti’s defence after 20 minutes but was again denied by the home keeper.

The Roos, without doubt, had the best of the first half and but went into half-time at 0-0.

The second half started more in the favour of the hosts, as Balti enjoyed the majority of possession in the early exchan-ges.

The Roos’ trusted centre-backs Kieren Gallimore and Darren Kenny had to be sharp as Balti’s threat and pressure was building, but the defensive duo stood firm to keep chances to a minimum.

The game then begun to swing back in favour of the visitors as Balti were unable to make anything of their possession. As the Roos started to take charge of the game again, both Quinton and Jamie Samways had decent chances in quick succession.

Then with 20 minutes remaining, Balti had their best effort of the game when they were awarded a dubious free-kick on the edge of the box.

The resulting effort brought out an excellent save from the in-form county town keeper Kev Smith who dived high to his left to pluck the ball out of the air and deny what would have been a stunning goal.

Both teams continued to work extremely hard in what was turning into an enthralling cup-tie which looked certain to be heading into extra time.

However, in the 89th minute the Roos won a corner and Rich Beasley crossed a great ball into the box which was flicked on by centre-back Darren Kenny at the near post and found the unmarked Quinton who nodded in from four yards.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree