THE Terras were left frustrated last night when a general power cut brought a premature end to their league clash at Bashley.

The lights went out in the 43rd minute after Weymouth had built up a 2-1 lead, courtesy of goals from Scott Walker and George Rigg.

The blackout left referee Mark Russell no other choice but to abandon the fixture, which might have been stopped at half-time anyway, due to surface water gathering on the pitch following a sustained period of heavy rain.

The Terras are beginning to get used to floodlight failures at the Recreation Ground.

They also had a Red Insure Cup tie at Bashley postponed for that very reason back in October.

On that occasion the game was called off just 15 minutes before kick-off.

Weymouth player-boss Jason Matthews, a qualified electrician, told Echosport: “There’s nothing anyone could have done.

“It was a shame because it was turning into a really good end-to-end game.

“We went 2-0 up and were playing some really good stuff on a very heavy pitch.

“They then pulled one back before it began to get extremely wet.

“The ball was only just about rolling and the players were struggling to stay on their feet.

“With that, the lights then went out and although it was disappointing that the game got abandoned, it was really the only decision the referee could make at the time.

“It was just a general power cut and when that happens, you have to wait 20 minutes to put the floodlights back on, otherwise the bulbs will blow where they get so hot.

“It was frustrating but, like I said, it was just one of those things and all we can do now is move on to what will be a massive home game against Stourbridge on Saturday.”

The Terras made just one change to the side that began the 2-1 defeat at Chippenham Town in their previous game with Niall Thompson replacing Ashley Wells.

The Torquay United loanee began on the left wing in front of Walker while Jake Green moved across to fill the right-back slot.

Wells dropped to the bench where he joined Barry McConnell, Luke Winsper and Carl McClements.

The visitors had the advantage of kicking down the slope at kick-off but it was Bashley that made the brighter start in the wet conditions.

Having claimed a good point at Burnham at the weekend, the Hampshire outfit were clearly in good spirits and they almost broke through early on when Scott Joyce rounded keeper Matthews, only to run the ball too wide. Sam Poole was then on hand to clear the resulting cross.

Both sides were struggling to get any momentum going in the driving rain but as the minutes ticked on the Terras began to settle.

Walker tested Monty George with a free-kick and after Luke Burbidge and Ben Joyce both sent efforts just off target, the visitors grabbed the lead on 19 minutes.

Former Bashley man Adam Kelly was tripped just inside the box and that allowed Walker to convert from the spot to the delight of the travelling fans.

The Bash were now under the cosh and moments later only a brilliant save from George denied Stewart Yetton from adding a second.

However, another goal was clearly on the cards and it arrived on 26 minutes when Walker delivered a superb cross from a corner enabling Rigg to send home a fine header.

The heavens then opened again and that seemed to hand the Bash some respite.

In fact, it knocked Weymouth out of their stride for a bit and the hosts took full advantage by pulling one back through a low shot from Scott Joyce just five minutes later.

The downpour was beginning to take its toll though, and just as it began to look like the encounter may be abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch, the lights failed, giving the officials no option but to take the players off and end the game.

Bashley: George, Davis, Roberts, Strickland, Marden, Bulpitt, Flint, Soltan, Joyce, Odam, Blackmore. Subs not used: Brooks, Lloyd, Gazzard, Morris, Jones.

Terras: Matthews, Green, S Walker, Kelly, M Walker, Poole, Burbidge, Rigg, Yetton, Joyce, Thompson. Subs not used: Wells, McClements, McConnell, Winsper.