WEYMOUTH joint-manager Jake Richmond asked for a “full 90-minute performance” from his young charges and he most certainly got it as they inflicted a rare 3-0 defeat on perennial title-chasers Ham-worthy Recreation.

Afterwards Richmond said: “I thought we were the best team by a country mile.

“We told them we couldn’t afford fits and starts and the lads have given us a full performance.

“The game hinged on Jamie Perry’s penalty save and I feared heads would drop at that stage, but in the end we could have won by a couple more.”

There was precious little quality in the final third at either end during the opening half-hour but it looked like Rec would fashion a lead after 21 minutes when Eubio Do Rosario was adjudged to have pushed over Simon Dyer.

However, Perry pulled off a top-drawer save to palm away Jamie Moore’s penalty, diving to his left, and it took until the latter stages of the half before either goal was threatened again.

However, Liam Greatrex (twice) and Do Rosario both saw shots fly well wide before Moores’ well-struck free-kick sailed over after 40 minutes.

But then, deep into first half stoppage time, Luke Winsper stunned Rec by heading the hosts in front with the first attempt on target from the Terras.

A sweet centre from Matt Morley was neatly flicked home by Winsper who moments earlier had been rueing his luck after seeing his high lob over keeper Ryan Park smack off the top of the bar before being headed clear by Rikki Walden.

And the young Terras went on to complete a memorable, and somewhat emphatic triumph over their seasoned opponents with a stubborn rearguard action and two more well-taken goals in the second period.

Moores had a good sight of goal on 57 minutes but volleyed high over the top before Morley wriggled to find space on the edge of the Rec box only for his low left-footer to lack the pace to trouble Park.

However, two minutes later the Terras could sense a shock victory when skipper Adam Anstey doubled their lead with a simple finish.

Sean Zima’s initial deep free-kick was punched back to him by Park and the former Upwey front-runner worked his way to the byline where his low cross eluded everyone at the front post and Anstey was on hand to tuck home.

Hamworthy did fight hard to get back in the game and the hosts had Do Rosario to thank for blocking quickfire shots from both Dyer and Moores before skipper Tom Willis weakly shot into the arms of Perry.

In the 76th minute, Perry had to tip over a decent effort from substitute Jamie Hayles before the action switched to the other end.

The Terras finished the game strongly as Morley enjoyed two strong runs with both shots beaten away by Park.

Lee Sharpe was inches away from making it 3-0 but then, after substitute Sanchez Baker had headed over the top with the goal at his mercy, the same player wrapped up the scoring two minutes into injury-time, latching on to Greatrex’s through ball and finishing with aplomb.

Terras: Perry, Mitchell, Sharpe, Do Rosario, Anstey, Greatrex, McAllister, Morley (Gould 88), Winsper (Baker 72), Akakpo, Zima (Head 65). Subs not used: Frame, Brown.