JOHN Frendo took his league tally to 22 goals this season as the Saints marched all over Weymouth at Clarence Park.

St Albans were just too strong for the Terras and went on to record a 3-0 victory with all their goals coming in a one-sided first half.

Weymouth boss Jason Matthews had initially planned to keep faith with the same starting XI that began the midweek victory over Bideford.

But the player-manager was forced into a late change when Luke Winsper failed a fitness test before kick-off.

Surprisingly, he chose to bring in little known Steve Colwell for his debut, despite the former Plymouth Parkway midfielder having only joined the club the previous day.

Colwell lined up alongside Adam Kelly and George Rigg in a three-man midfield with Niall Thompson and Luke Burbidge on the wings, and Stewart Yetton up front.

Ben Joyce missed the trip due to shin splints while Scott Walker and Barry McConnell had to once again settle for places on the bench where they were joined by youngster Lee Sharpe.

The Saints went into the clash on a seven-game unbeaten run and they immediately went on the attack.

In fact, they almost broke through in the very first minute, only to see an attempt on goal deflected out for a corner.

Matthews was then forced into a decent save that resulted in him requiring treatment for a knock.

With no substitute keeper on the bench, the Weymouth fans immediately looked concerned but the experienced stopper was soon back on his feet.

The pressure continued and it finally told on 11 minutes when Frendo beat Matthews with a superb strike which flew in off the left-hand post.

The Terras were struggling to gain any sort of foothold in the game and moments later their goal was under threat again.

On this occasion, Frendo sent a header over the top following a fine cross from Peter Dean.

The Saints were clearly full of confidence but the visitors were battling hard and finally replied with a chance of their own.

Colwell was in the thick of the move and when Burbidge sent the ball into the box, Sam Poole rose well only for his header to fly off target.

Yetton then volleyed over following Poole’s flick-on, before the Saints doubled their lead on 25 minutes.

Lee Chappell launched a long throw into the box and Dean took full advantage by finding the bottom right-hand corner of the net with a fine finish.

The Terras were now wobbling again and a slip by Jake Green seconds later presented a chance to Matt Taylor but he could only blaze his effort over the bar.

Thompson then picked up a booking for a foul which appeared a little harsh, before Frendo almost turned in an attempted shot from Taylor.

Frendo’s clever movement was causing the Weymouth defence all sorts of problems and it was no surprise when he netted again on 41 minutes.

Poole’s attempted clearance rebounded kindly into the City striker’s path and once again the finish was clinical.

It was beginning to look like men against boys and it didn’t take long before the Saints went close again.

Frendo flicked on another long throw from Chappell only for Dean to fire his close-range shot over the top.

It was clear the Terras needed a big reaction after the break and they quickly saw Thompson fire in a shot which almost set up a chance for Yetton.

McConnell then replaced Ashley Wells on 50 minutes before Matthews had to be alert to stop another header from Dean following Richard Graham’s well-delivered free-kick.

As the second half ticked on the Saints looked content just to sit on their lead while the Terras were struggling to mount any serious pressure.

Scott Walker came on for Thompson on 68 minutes and Michael Walker headed a free-kick over the bar, but the home side continued to look comfortable.

Michael Walker then cleared an effort off the line at the other end before Saints keeper Paul Bastock pulled off a solid save to keep out a header from Kelly.

The Terras were certainly giving it their all and they went close again moments later with Burbidge firing a shot just over the bar.

Despite finishing strongly, the consolation goal never came for Weymouth as the Saints went on to keep a clean sheet and secure their fourth win on the spin.

Terras: Matthews, Wells (McConnell 50), Green, Colwell, Poole, M Walker, Burbidge, Kelly (Sharpe 84), Yetton, Rigg, Thompson (S Walker 68).

St Albans: Bastock, Gilbert, Chappell, Marwa, Ward, Martin, Graham, Comley (Hall 74), Frendo, Dean (Lowe 61), Taylor (Henry 61). Subs not used: Nwokeji, Kaloczi.

Bookings: Terras – Thompson (foul 29)

St Albans – None

Attendance: 762