ED Evans has been crowned the Weymouth Tennis Club champion after beating holder Asa Cardiff in a keenly-contested men’s singles final.

Evans raced into an early lead through a combination of solid serving and repeated use of his trademark heavy top-spin forehand.

However, Cardiff made him work all the way as he eased into his workmanlike play before Evans took the first set 4-1.

Cardiff, by now, was finding his own forehand having effect and he advanced to the net when possible.

Breaks of serve were exchanged before Evans held on to win the second set 4-2 clinch his first ever title at the club.

The tournament saw both adult, junior and mini finals take place alongside an all-afternoon barbecue in front of a crowd of spectators, which made for a good atmosphere throughout.

This year’s ladies’ singles final was between Annie Redding and Jacqui Mitchell.

Both players traded cross-court forehands, with the younger but more powerful Redding frequently coming out on top and she took the first set 6-0.

Mitchell fought hard in the second set, but was unable to turn her determined attempts to lengthen the rallies into games and the set went to Redding 6-1.

Last year losing men’s doubles finalists, Martin Luff and Martin Bottomley made re-appearances in the showpiece.

Up against Pete Smith and Cardiff, they could not quite keep up with the dominant net game of the latter pair, who took the first set 6-4.

The second set could not have started worse for Luff and Bottomley as two breaks of serve saw Smith and Cardiff go into a 4-0 lead.

However, both Martins decided to lob more to great effect, breaking back several times to see them take the set 7-5.

Smith and Cardiff continued to try to take the net at every opportunity but mistakes crept in and the champions’ tie break went to the Martins 10-7 to see them run out the winners.

Defending ladies’ doubles champions Joy Hennessey and Rhose Lawes were once again the team to beat as they faced Gill Corben and Jacqui Mitchell.

A one-sided first set went to Hennessey and Lawes 4-1 and all looked lost for Corben and Mitchell.

However, the second set did not start out the same way and the rallies became longer as both pairs really found their form.

A crucial break was secured by Hennessey and Lawes to ease to a 5-3 victory to retain their title. Lawes returned to court to partner defending mixed champion Mark Henman in the mixed doubles.

Their opponents were Glenda and Adam Fraser and a tight match ensued.

Lawes unleashed her forehand with regularity, while Henman dominated the net, resulting in them taking the first set 6-4.

The Frasers immediately turned things around at the start of the second set and a break of serve helped them race into a 3-0 lead.

However, Lawes and Henman then came back to level at 3-3. Glenda maintained her game and used her trademark flat forehand to continue to hit winners.

Adam advanced to the net regularly and covered the court athletically as they once again drew ahead to eventually clinch the set 6-3.

A champion’s tie break was played and after racing to an early lead, the Frasers held on to win 10-7.

Five players contested the Red Under-8s’ title within a box with each playing each other.

The decisive match proved to be the one between Jules Holloway and Ben Kinsey.

Kinsey moved Holloway around in his efforts to take the lead but the latter replied with consistent shots from both sides and it was he who led the way.

Another five players took part in the Orange Under-9s qualifying.

The final was between Abbie Tyler and Rory Bale. The former attacked right from the start, to establish an early lead from which, try as he did, Bale could not recover as Tyler took the first set 7-2.

Bale renewed his efforts early in the second set to keep his hopes alive, but Tyler proved too strong on this occasion to clinch the second set 7-3.

In the boys’ under-12 final, there was a repeat line-up – with a different, but expected outcome when Thomas Powell took on Dominic Webb.

Powell built on his determination of last year to show an improved consistency and sound shot selection, which Webb could not deal with as the former ran out an easy 6-1, 6-2 victor.

This year’s boys’ under-16 final saw George Morrissey play Kaiese Brown.

The opening stages saw Morrissey gain the upper hand and establish an early 3-1 lead.

Brown made sure that things were not all one- way, although he could not prevent Morrissey taking the first set 6-3.

The second set saw many long rallies with Morrissey coming out on top to win 6-2.

More information on Weymouth Tennis Club, can be found at weymouthtennisclub.org.uk