When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Land battle at Weymouth FC takes a new twist
WEYMOUTH FC is once again embroiled in a battle over the land surrounding the Bob Lucas Stadium.
A proposal to launch a legal challenge was put to the board last week but discussions have since been put on hold until after tomorrow’s annual general meeting (1pm).
Club vice-chairman Mark Coleman told Echosport: “A legal challenge for the land was proposed to the rest of the board on Wednesday of last week but it was only a short presentation and until all the details are looked into, there is nothing really to talk about.
"We are taking legal advice on the matter but we want to get the AGM out of the way first before anything else.”
Former Weymouth FC Community Trust chairman Paul Cocks has huge reservations over this latest proposal to challenge the existing agreement with Morgan Sindall and Wessex Delivery Partnership, and has revealed that until last week several of the club’s directors knew nothing about it.
He said: “I know for a fact that most of the directors, until very recently, had no idea of this proposal at all.
“And although there is a temporary enforced peace, I have no doubt that this issue will not go away. It is, in my view, one that should be in the public domain.”
A legal assault on overturning the current land deal has often been mooted but with much publicised factions within the boardroom and fears over the club’s current financial state, shareholders will no doubt be after answers at the AGM.
Club chairman Nigel Biddlecombe refused to comment on the issue yesterday but did promise to answer any questions at tomorrow’s meeting where finance is likely to be another hot topic of debate.
Cocks claims the board overspent last season and although the 2012-13 accounts will not be made available until next year’s AGM, the club’s directors are likely going to have to field some difficult questions on that subject too.
Biddlecombe admitted to Echosport back on June 17 that the Terras did go over its playing budget last season but not by much.
His comments came just six days after the following statement from director Shaun Hennessy: “There has been no financial mismanagement whatsoever.
“We are sailing close to the wind but every business does that during its quiet period.
“The budgets have to balance and be sustainable and as a board we are working hard to ensure that is the case.”
Comments are closed on this article.