BRENDON King is fed up of hearing excuses from his players and wants to see them take more responsibility for their actions.

The frustrated Weymouth boss made the admission after Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Bedford Town where his men let a half-time lead slip in a sloppy second period.

King told Echosport: “It is getting really frustrating and I have to admit some strong words were said in the dressing room afterwards.

“I am fed up of hearing the same old thing and it is about time some of them began taking more responsibility.

“I have been pretty critical of our defending this season but you have also got to take your chances.

“Our decision-making in the final third was poor again and for some reason in the second half we stopped putting the ball in the right areas, which encouraged them to come on to us.

“It was a game we did not deserve to lose but when you miss chances and stop doing the basics, there is always that chance you could come unstuck and unfortunately that is exactly what happened.

“All we can do now is take it on the chin and make sure we regroup very quickly ahead of the game at Barwell tomorrow night.”

Going on to comment on the defeat in more depth, King added: “Having lost our two regular centre-backs to injury, we went with a new pairing in Alex Jeannin and Rhys Baggridge for the first time and to be fair in the opening 45 minutes we controlled it.

“We should have been ahead in the first 10 minutes when Jamie Beasley missed a great chance but then Byron Napper popped up with a fantastic strike to give us the goal we deserved.

“Apart from set-pieces, where they were always going to be a threat, Bedford had not really troubled us at all and I told the lads to go out in the second half and just keep doing what they had been doing.

“We knew they would come at us but instead of taking the sting out of it, we were slow out the blocks and gave them too much encouragement to come forward.

“Having said that, we could and probably should have gone two up when Jamie put over a fine ball which somehow missed everyone including Warren Byerley.

“Warren said a defender got a slight touch in front of him, which caused the ball to go over his foot, but it was still a chance I would expect him to score.

“Scott Dixon then unfortunately went to clear a cross and miscued it over the head of Tom Manley for their equaliser before we almost completely committed suicide by giving away a penalty.

“However, Tom pulled off a great save and then Warren had another great chance to put us in front again but could only head against the crossbar from four yards out.

“We were then punished with eight minutes remaining when they grabbed a second with a header at the far post.

“Tom did make a couple of other good saves for us but we put ourselves under that pressure and it is time we learn from that.”

Weymouth have now dropped to 15th in the table but still remain five points clear of the bottom four with games in hand on all of the teams below them.