Weymouth duo handed new contracts

Dorset Echo: GREEN LIGHT: Matt Groves and Brendon King GREEN LIGHT: Matt Groves and Brendon King

BRENDON King and Matt Groves have been given the green light to take the Terras into next season.

The club’s interim board met at the Bob Lucas Stadium yesterday morning to discuss the management duo’s future and emerged with the following statement: “The board of Weymouth FC is pleased to announce the issuing of a new contract to manager Brendon King and assistant-manager Matt Groves.

“These contracts give Brendon and Matt stability and show the commitment to the future by our great club.

“We now look forward to Brendon and Matt, with the full backing of the board, occupying themselves busily over the next few weeks, agreeing contracts with current players and of course bringing in experienced and committed players, in order to take the club into 2012-13 with the confidence that we can enjoy a successful campaign.

“The board are very happy with the performance of our young manager and his training team and this hopefully sends out a sign to all our loyal fans that stability, passion and ambition have returned to the Bob Lucas Stadium.

“We now look forward to very soon announcing some exciting new signings and equally exciting pre-season friendlies.”

When asked to comment on the new one-year deals, King added: “It was always just a case of dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s, and I am just glad it is all done and dusted now.

“We have been talking to players already and now we can just get on with getting things sorted and being positive.

“I have learned an awful lot over the past year about myself, the players and the league we are playing in and I know what I have got to work on.

“We also know as a management team where we need to be and where we want to go now.

“We have to be realistic though and the one thing we are all in agreement on is stability.

“Instead of looking over our shoulders like we have done over the last few years, we want to be comfortably looking up and hopefully that will be the case next season.

“I am not saying play-offs or winning the league, our aim is to start building a side with a view to pushing on over the next two or three years.

“The big words for me are consistency and improvement.

“The new board are new to what they are doing and we have only had a year, so it is a massive transformation for the club and a big learning curve for us all.

“However, after our recent talks, we are all singing from the same hymn sheet and together we are all now looking forward to moving the club forward.”

On the subject of players, King went on to say: “We have been encouraged by the talks we have had so far and although there are always players sniffing around for clubs in the middle of July, our aim is to have the bulk of the squad sorted for the start of pre-season.

“The last thing we want to do is be scratching around like we were last year because that does not help in terms of preparation, and it’s vital come the start of next season we are ready and raring to go.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:09am Tue 8 May 12

njsofweymouth says...

What great news.........NOT. Still, it will save me £11 a fortnight for yet another season. Whilst I admire what Biddie has done for the club i'm affraid this is a huge mistake by him and the board. Speaking to people who regularly attended last season i'm assured the standard of the league was, at best, poor and we struggled to hold our own. Let's just accept that the management/coaching team are well out of their depth as I correctly predicted at the start of last season. All this says to me is that WFC are happy to play in a 'mickey mouse' league and lack ambition. NOT ACCEPTABLE. I have previously spent thousands, yes THOUSANDS, of pounds with sponsorships etc with WFC but never again. Until the club show some ambition I and hundreds of others will continue to boycott the turnstiles and instead watch local league football where passion and commitment are in abundance.
What great news.........NOT. Still, it will save me £11 a fortnight for yet another season. Whilst I admire what Biddie has done for the club i'm affraid this is a huge mistake by him and the board. Speaking to people who regularly attended last season i'm assured the standard of the league was, at best, poor and we struggled to hold our own. Let's just accept that the management/coaching team are well out of their depth as I correctly predicted at the start of last season. All this says to me is that WFC are happy to play in a 'mickey mouse' league and lack ambition. NOT ACCEPTABLE. I have previously spent thousands, yes THOUSANDS, of pounds with sponsorships etc with WFC but never again. Until the club show some ambition I and hundreds of others will continue to boycott the turnstiles and instead watch local league football where passion and commitment are in abundance. njsofweymouth

9:32am Tue 8 May 12

ohcetesrod says...

Lacking ambition?
.
The comment is a bit of a smack in the face to Biddie and co who pumped in £30k to take the club over the George Rolls.
.
Lacking ambition? . The comment is a bit of a smack in the face to Biddie and co who pumped in £30k to take the club over the George Rolls. . ohcetesrod

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree