Under-18 Division Three


FOR the second week running Portland Town won comfortably on their travels.

A 3-0 victory was the least Town deserved and their strong defence have now kept three clean sheets in the last four league games.

The islanders started strongly with captain Floyd Musson firing in a shot from distance in the first minute and another two minutes later that both flashed wide of the goal.

Brad Davis scrambled an Oakmeadians’ corner clear in the eighth minute in what would prove to a very rare attack on the Town goal.

The visitors deservedly took the lead on 12 minutes. Danny Clifford picked up the ball, superbly beat three players before laying it off to Davis.

He took one touch before firing the ball into the bottom corner. Town then doubled their lead on the half-hour.

A long throw-in from Matt Dunlop caused panic in the home penalty box, with the ball eventually bouncing back of a post before rebounding into the net off an unfortunate home defender.

Portland were totally dominant with Kane Bennett and JJ Ogilvie going close to adding to their side’s goal tally.

Keeper Matty Peart was always alert whenever needed and the defence of man-of-the-match Holden, Joe Green, Dunlop and McCauley Sherred totally dominated the Oakmeadians’ attack.

Town continued to boss the game right from the beginning of the second half. Ogilvie missed a chance when one-on-one with the keeper in the 47th minute before Bennett shot wide from 20 yards two minutes later.

With tougher games coming up, Town replaced Musson and Ogilvie with Charlie Fox and Kieron Gair in the 55th minute, with Clifford taking up the armband.

Bennett pulled an effort wide in the 58th minute as Town continued to control the game.

Adam Hanger then superbly headed the ball through for Bennett, whose superb effort flashed just wide of a post.

With 15 minutes remaining, Gair played a superb ball over the top for Bennett who slammed the ball home from just inside the area for Town's third.

Hanger then saw his effort saved on the goal-line and Bennett saw another effort fly wide with 10 minutes remaining.

Clifford then left four players trailing in the last minute before his effort was blocked.