Police investigating hoax calls to a Scotland Yard counter-terror hotline have charged a teenager with two offences.

A 17-year-old boy from Birmingham is accused of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance and an offence under the Computer Misuse Act, a Yard spokesman said.

He is set to appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London.

The Yard's Central e-Crime Unit has said it was aware hoaxers had made calls to the hotline and made recordings of their conversations with anti-terrorist hotline staff.

The Yard said on Friday that a 16-year-old boy who was also held on Thursday night had been bailed to return to a police station in the West Midlands pending further inquiries.

A statement added: "Public reporting is an important part of the fight against terrorism and any attempt to disrupt this service will be investigated thoroughly."