There has been a county gaol in Dorchester since the medieval period, which was originally located in this spot High East Street.

This also marks the start of the route taken by unfortunates on their way to be hanged from 1610.

The street now called Icen Way was once named Gaol Lane and another section was called Bell Lane - the site of the Bell Inn. Here, the condemned were allowed to halt and take their last earthly refreshment.

The final section up to the fatal mound was known as Gallows Hill, which was the route to South Walks.

Upon this spot thousands must have suffered a cruel lingering death with condemned men, women and children suffering for even a theft to the worth of 5s.

A hundred years later the gallows were moved to Maumbury Rings and among those to be executed there was Mary Channing, who was accused of poisoning her husband.