FIREFIGHTERS attended to reports of an explosion at a home in north Dorset.

Retained crews from Gillingham and Shaftesbury attended the property in Langham shortly after 7am yesterday.

Once at the scene they discovered that a gas cylinder in the kitchen of the property had been leaking and was then ignited by the immersion heater.

Firefighters were able to isolate the electrics within the property and removed the cylinder from the home after disconnecting it.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service reported that the explosions caused structural damage throughout the property including windows being blown out and the roof being lifted off the house.