The multi-millionaire owner of Parnham House, arrested in connection with a devastating fire, has been found dead.

Owner of the Grade I-listed stately home, Michael Treichl, was found dead after reportedly suffering from depression.

A statement issued yesterday by a spokesman read: "Michael Treichl sadly passed away on Friday, having suffered from severe depression.
"Michael enjoyed a long and distinguished career in finance.

"Michael was a devoted family man and husband to his wife Emma, their two children, and his two step-children.

"They are all devastated by his death."

An investigation in to what caused the fire was launched in April and remains ongoing.

As reported in the Echo, emergency services rushed to the scene of Parnham House in Beaminster in the early hours of Easter Saturday.

Around 100 firefighters were involved in tackling the fire which caused considerable damage.

Such was the extent of the fire it took until the Wednesday before the fire service confirmed the blaze had been fully extinguished.

Mr Treichl was later arrested in connection with the fire.

After Mr Treichl was released by police pending further inquiries, he and wife Emma spoke about the blaze for the first time.

Mr Treichl said it was ‘insane’ to think he could have been involved in the arson attack which gutted the historic home near Beaminster, which dates back to the 16th century.

Mr Treichl later said: “I am devastated at the loss of our home.
“The restoration of Parnham has been my life’s work and it is insane to think I could have destroyed it. I am now intent on rebuilding and restoring it.”

The couple reputedly spent £10 million restoring Parnham House after buying it.

Mrs Treichl reportedly worked with Clarence House interior designer Robert Kime to turn it into a modern family home.

None of the family were at home when the fire broke out.

Mrs Treichl said everything had been lost including historical artefacts but the family had already been in touch with English Heritage and were determined Parnham could be returned to its former glory.

A spokesman for Dorset Police confirmed that investigations in to the fire at Parnham House are still ongoing.