A driver who caused a serious accident which left a man needing reconstructive surgery has kept his licence.

Luke Pomfret, 30, pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention at Weymouth Magistrates Court.

The court heard how, at 12.33am on July 8, Pomfret, of Mallards Green, Martinstown, caused a serious three-vehicle crash on the A37 near the Clay Pigeon turning when he attempted to overtake a Ford Focus but failed to see an oncoming car.

In a witness statement, Clive Bridges, who was driving the Ford, said he and his wife were driving back from Portland when he noticed Pomfret’s silver Peugeot catching up with him.

Mr Bridges said before the car reached him, it pulled out to overtake and began to attempt to pass the vehicle.

On seeing the oncoming car, a Kia Picanto driven by Terry Pike, Pomfret first struck the Ford and was pushed into the Kia, forcing it to leave the road.

Pomfret said a dip in the road may have obscured his view of the oncoming car.

Mr Pike suffered serious injuries to his arm which required multiple reconstructive and plastic surgeries and tissue to be taken from his leg in the process.

He also suffered a broken scapula and a possible fractured vertebra.

Mr Pike was originally taken to Southampton General Hospital but was transferred to a specialist unit at Salisbury where he remained for five weeks.

He spent a further six weeks in a rehabilitation facility.

In a statement, Mr Pike said his legs and arms look “awful”, his mobility had been compromised and he was in pain.

He added a ‘huge chunk’ had been taken from his leg to provide muscle and nerves to reconstruct his arm.

Mr and Mrs Bridges suffered extensive bruising and Pomfret suffered minor injuries.

Mr Bridges said he believed the “action of the defendant was reckless”.

Mr Collins, defending, said Pomfret had been badly affected by the crash and had apologised to those involved.

He added since the incident Pomfret had suffered a blackout which doctors had partially attributed to stress caused by the incident.

“He has held a driving licence for over 13 years and a HGV licence for over five years and has otherwise an unblemished driving record,” Mr Collins said.

Mr Collins reminded the magistrates that despite the wording of the witness statement, Pomfret was not charged with ‘reckless driving’ but with ‘careless driving’.

“You have before you a caring man who has shown remorse throughout,” he said.

Chairman of the bench Robert Cowley said the bench could see Pomfret understood “what an unpleasant accident this was.”

Pomfret was given six points on his licence and fined £269 and ordered to pay £80 costs and £30 victim surcharge.