A teenage boy was warrested and weapons were seized after armed police swooped on a property in Weymouth following reports of someone on a roof holding a gun.

Hanover Road and Alexandra Road in the Lodmoor area were closed off as a dramatic police operation was launched early on Saturday evening.

Firearms officers, regular officers and the NPAS (police) helicopter all responded.

Traffic was unable to access Alexandra Road from the Dorchester Road junction or at the Carlton Road North junction.

The railway bridge at the end of Hanover Road was also cordoned off in the police investigation.

Residents said armed officers went into a property in Hanover Road about 5.30pm.

Dorset Echo:

SWOOP: Armed police in the area  Picture: ROB DUNFORD

Earlier, Dorset Police were unable to give any information as the incident unfolded as they said it was an ongoing incident.

They later confirmed an operation had taken place at an address but it had now been resolved.

The force has now issued a statement.

A Dorset Police spokesman said on Saturday night: "We were called at 4.57pm today, Saturday, to reports of a male stood on a roof holding a gun in Hanover Road in Weymouth.

"Specialist firearms officers, supported by patrol officers and the NPAS helicopter, attended the scene.

"A (teenage boy) was arrested on suspicion of possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence and affray. Two imitation firearms were seized."

Today (Monday) police said the boy had been released without charge.

The spokesman added: "A cordon was put in place while officers dealt with the incident and we would like to thank residents for their patience and understanding while the road closures were in place."

At 6.15pm, road closures were being lifted but police officers remained at the property.

Police were then seen packing away equipment including a battering ram into vehicles.

The railway bridge also reopened to pedestrians.

Officers remained at the scene earlier guarding a property in Hanover Road.

One resident said: "My friend was due to visit but she called to say the police had blocked off the roads and she couldn't get through.

"It was weird because the street was so quiet. Then I saw armed police officers, about four of them, they were low to the ground, and they went in a property."

Another resident said: "It was scary seeing all the police about, and with the helicopter circling above, it was obviously a serious incident."