Firefighters are urging people to install fire alarms following a late-night house fire in Bridport.

Fire crews from Bridport and Charmouth were called to a house fire at West Allington yesterday evening at around 9.41pm.

On arrival crews found the alarm sounding and everyone was evacuated from the property.

When entering the property there was a strong smell of burnt cooking in the communal stairwell.

Crew members ensured the oven and hob was switched off, then opened some windows to ventilate the kitchen.

After some enquiries, it’s believed that the tray was left on top of an electric hob which was then accidentally switched on.

A spokesman for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue service said: “The alarm was triggered, and the property owner removed the tray. These things can easily happen! Thankfully there were working smoke alarms in the property. Have you got smoke alarms in your property? When was the last time you tested them? Press that button once a week! If you are worried about your home safety or someone you know, you can get a free safe and well visit from one of our home safety team. We will fit free smoke alarms where required and offer advice on keeping safe.”

For more information about Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue service visit