The close ties the Royal Engineers Association has with Weymouth and Portland has been marked in an event at the Nothe Fort.

A framed certificate was presented to Brian Martin, Chairman of the Nothe Fort Management Committee by Lieutenant Colonel (Retd) Nat Parmley and members of the Royal Engineers Association, Weymouth branch, to commemorate the long and close connection of the Corps of Royal Engineers, – the Sappers – with the borough.

Mr Martin said: "This is a real piece of history and it’s great to maintain links with the organisation that originally built the fort in 1860."

The certificate highlights the history of the Corps from its formation in 1716 and commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Weymouth branch formed in 1916.

Notable events, such as the building of the Nothe Fort by 26 (Fortress Company) RE and also the design and building of the Verne Citadel by Captain W Crossman RE on the orders of Lord Palmerston in 1855 are depicted photographically.

Mention is also made of the establishment of the Bridging Camp on the Fleet at Wyke Regis in 1928 and the granting of the Freedom of the Borough to the Corps in 1984. A list of all units resident at the Verne, commencing in 1856 and ending with 9 Training Regiment RE in 1948 is also depicted. Subsequently, the Verne became a prison, a role it fulfils to this day.

Links with the borough are still maintained by members of the RE Association participating in various events annually and several have volunteered for a variety of tasks at the Nothe Fort, most notably Major Ken Hazard after whom the fort’s 'village Hall' used as the school evacuation centre was named.

Built by the Victorians to protect Portland Harbour, the Nothe Fort is one of the best preserved forts of its kind. The advances in technology that affected the fort are explained through many displays, exhibits and audio visual facilities located on the ramparts, gun decks and maze of underground passageways.