Crews of firefighters were called to a thatched cottage in Acreman Street, Cerne Abbas following reports of a chimney fire.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the incident at 8.12pm yesterday.

Crews from Dorchester, Maiden Newton, Yeovil and an Aerial appliance from Yeovil were sent to the scene.

A fire service spokesman said: “The first attending appliance arrived quickly on scene and confirmed that the fire was confined to the chimney. Crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet and equipment from the appliance chimney kit.”