As you tuck in to your Easter eggs and hot cross buns this weekend, be careful with these festive treats around your pets.

That is the advice from Nutravet, a manufacturer of natural animal healthcare products.

Korina Stephens, a Royal Veterinary Nurse with Nutravet, said: "Easter can be a fun and exciting time for many when we can enjoy a nice break and some much-needed downtime with our pets. Whether you’re enjoying nice long walks with your dog or tucking into your favourite chocolate egg, as a pet owner it’s important to remember the hazards for pets that can come with Easter time.

"Digestive upset is a common reason for pet owners to take their pets to the vets and at Easter it can be more prevalent due to the number of yummy treats and chocolate that can be in the home.

"Many pet owners see their pet as one of the family and like to include them in the celebrations or festivities. However, some human foods that we enjoy at this time of year and colourful flowers can give our pets sensitive tummies and may lead to an unwanted trip to the vets."

Chocolate contains theobromine that pets can’t cope with, so even the smallest amount is not recommended. Keep some of your dog or cat’s favourite treat to hand while you are enjoying your Easter egg to ensure they don’t beg or feel left out.

Another culprit is hot cross buns. This yummy treat is synonymous with Easter and can contain raisins, currants or sultanas. These are all foods that are toxic to cats and dogs and could cause tummy upsets and for your pet to feel unwell.

Nutravet recommends keeping various other things like Easter grass used to line baskets for Easter egg hunts, seasonal plants such as daffodils and lilies which can be toxic to pets, spring bulbs and sweets away from pets.

It is also not recommended to feed your pet roast dinner from the table due to the fattiness of the food. Give your pet some yummy treats to enjoy whilst you sit down for your dinner to stop them from begging.

If you are worried that your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t, consult your vet straight away. Your vet will be able to advise the best course of action dependant on what your pet has eaten or ingested.