Smoke alarms alerted residents to a fire in an upstairs room of their house.

Bridport fire crews were sent to Symondsbury on Thursday night to reports of a chimney fire.

A spokesman for the team said: Crews got to work with a chimney kit, rodding the chimney to extinguish the fire located within the stack. A thermal imaging camera was also used to check for hot spots.

"Thankfully the property had working smoke alarms. It was these that had alerted the residents to the smoke that was filling an upstairs room that wasn’t in use."