Police investigating the death of a man on Portland say a witness has come forward following an appeal.

His death is not being treated as suspicious.

The man in his 50s sadly died after it was believed he collapsed in the street.

Police say they were called to High Street, Fortuneswell at 5.30am on Sunday.

The call followed a request from the ambulance service for assistance as they treated a man with a head injury.

The death of the man, who is from Weymouth, is being treated as 'unexplained' - and police don't have any reason to suspect any third party involvement.

Previously police appealed to hear from witnesses, particularly a man who was with him just before he died.

A cordon was in place and traffic off the island was being diverted down back streets.

However it is understood this diversion was unsuitable for big lorries so they were being held at the top.

Earlier, First stopped its Portland buses (Service 1 and Service 501) at Victoria Square. As of 11.20am the route was reopened.

The road is the A354 westbound which is the main route for leaving the island.

It was closed between the Royal Portland Arms pub and Cove Cottages.

According to Travel Dorset, lorries were unable to access the island earlier and were being turned around at the roundabout at the bottom due to the ongoing incident.

Wessex Water has been working in the area, starting works yesterday. The work is due to finish on Monday.

A Dorset Police spokesman said: "Dorset Police received a call from the ambulance service at 5.30am, Sunday. They were requesting assistance with traffic management as they treated a man requiring medical assistance in High Street Fortuneswell on Portland.

"Officers attended and sadly the man was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics at about 5.45am.

An investigation was launched to establish the circumstances of the death and an appeal was issued to identify a man who had been seen with the deceased man shortly before the incident.

Detective Inspector Scott Johnson, of Bournemouth CID, said: “Following our appeal, this man has now come forward to provide an account and assist with our investigation.

“As previously indicated, we do not believe there was any third party involvement in the death. We are not treating it as suspicious.

“I would like to thank all those who shared our appeal as well as those who came forward and our thoughts are with the man’s family at this difficult time.”

A road closure was put in place while enquiries were carried out into the circumstances of the death.

The road closure was lifted at 8.05am.

In a statement yesterday afternoon, police said the next of kin of the man have been informed and the coroner has been notified. 


Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at www.dorset.police.uk, via email 101@dorset.pnn.police.uk or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55190120942. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.