A KITCHEN fire in a Weymouth town centre flat is believed to have been caused by cooking.

Two teams of firefighters attended the blaze at the property on St Thomas Street in the town centre after the call came in just before 5pm today.

"We were called to a fire in a kitchen involving an appliance on a hob", a spokesman for Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

"It was out on arrival, so crews isolated the power and ventilated the property.

"We also gave some fire safety advice to the occupant."