A man who assaulted a nurse, a paramedic and four police officers in one night will spend Christmas behind bars after having his prison sentence extended.

Stephen Leslie Joseph Cook, 41, pleaded guilty to six counts of assaulting an emergency worker and one count of criminal damage at Weymouth Magistrates Court.

The court heard police were called to Weston Hostel in Weymouth at 9pm on April 13 after staff reported Cook was "smashing up his room."

Elizabeth Valera, prosecuting, said Cook, who had been released from prison just eight days earlier, had "barricaded himself in the room" and made threats to officers that he would harm himself.

"After 30 minutes of negotiation he gave in and was taken into an ambulance," Mrs Valera said.

"He had cut himself and there was blood smeared on the wall. He was clearly in drink."

Magistrates were told Cook became "aggressive" in the ambulance while paramedics attempted to check him over. He claimed to have hepatitis B and HIV before spitting a mouthful of drink over a paramedic and two police officers who were trying to restrain him.

Cook was taken to custody at Weymouth police station where he spat at another officer, before being taken for treatment at Dorset County Hospital.

Cook "lashed out" at emergency workers at the hospital, the court heard. Police used leg restraints on him, but he kicked an officer at the end of his bed before being aggressive towards a nurse attempting to take a blood sample from his feet.

Simon Lacey, mitigating, said Cook was "in a poor mental state" and is "very sorry for the upset caused."

"He believes his actions were reckless."

Mr Lacey said Cook was due to be released in November after being recalled to prison for the offences, and hoped magistrates wouldn't extend his sentence so he could help his daughter who has started university.

However, chairman of the bench, Sara Saunders, said: "We feel that six assaults on emergency workers who were trying to do their jobs is a terrible state of affairs. We were shocked when we heard this."

Cook, who is currently at HMP Portland, was sentenced to four weeks in prison for each assault, to run consecutively, and ordered to pay £89 in compensation to the hostel as well as £50 to each emergency worker.