FOUR crews of firefighters attended the Royal Hotel on Weymouth Esplanade.

Two fire engines from Weymouth, one from Portland and an aerial ladder platform team from Yeovil were called out after the alarm was raised yesterday evening.

"Upon arrival the crews inspected the premises and discovered that a motor in the hotel's recycling unit had over heated, causing it to smoke," a spokesman for the fire service said.

"Crews made the machine safe and remained on scene until satisfied there was no further risk.

"Our thanks to the residents for their cooperation and patience during this incident."