A dog was rescued by firefighters after a blaze broke out a house in Weymouth.

Two crews of Weymouth firefighters were alerted to the house fire in Chickerell Road, near Budmouth Academy, at 1.30pm today after 999 calls were made.

The first fire engine was there within three minutes of the 999 call being made.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "On arrival the crew found smoke issuing from the first floor and were met by the occupant who was alerted to the fire by a working smoke alarm.

"The crew entered the property and extinguished the fire using 4 breathing apparatus 2 hose reels and one main line."

Contrary to earlier reports, a dog was actually rescued by firefighters from the first floor of the property.

Crews remained at the property to ventilate it and to check for 'hotspots' in the loft.