A motorist who fled the scene after causing a fatal collision in Bridport has been jailed.

Gary Clayton Craven, aged 32 and of Crock Lane, Bridport, was sentenced to six years in prison after being found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and three offences of causing serious injury by dangerous driving in connection with a collision on the A35 Sea Road South on Monday, November 13, 2017.

He was also disqualified from driving for four years, with the ban due to begin when he is released from prison.

Craven was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court today after being found guilty at an earlier trial at the same court.

At around 11.15pm on the night of the crash, a Mercedes E350 being driven by the defendant was involved in a collision with a Mitsubishi L200 Warrior pick-up truck being driven by 64-year-old Steven Spear from Bridport.

Mr Spear died as a result of injuries sustained in the collision. Craven’s three passengers also sustained serious injuries.

Craven ran away from the scene following the collision, leaving one of his passengers trapped in the rear seat of the car. He was located at his home address at around 1.50am on the morning of Tuesday, November 14, and arrested.

Witnesses described seeing Craven driving at speeds in excess of 70mph through 30mph speed limits in Bridport town centre prior to the collision. Further witnesses reported seeing the vehicle travelling at up to 80mph around the time of the collision, which occurred on a 40mph stretch of road.

Inspector Joe Pardey, of the traffic unit, said: “Gary Craven drove in a dangerous manner on the night of Monday, November 13, 2017, showing off his new car to his friends. He drove at speeds well above the limit and his actions have had a truly devastating impact on the family of Steven Spear.

“This case is another sad reminder of the fatal consequences that can result if motorists ignore the need to drive carefully and considerately. A car is not a thrill-seeking ride but a potentially lethal machine if not used properly.

“Our thoughts are with the family of Mr Spear and, while nothing can ever make up for the loss of their loved one, I can only hope that the conclusion of the court proceedings will help them move forward.”