AN ICONIC sea mine that once graced Weymouth's old harbourside has been given a makeover and returned to its former home on the quay.

The German mine dating from the Second World War was a familiar landmark in the town, situated outside the King's Arms on Trinity Road as a charity collection point for the RNLI.

It is believed to have been sited on dry land on the harbourside since the time of the Queen's Coronation in 1953.

Sadly, in 2012 the mine was damaged by thieves who stole the money inside.

Last summer it was moved to the Nothe Tavern pub by the former pub operators.

The quest to bring the mine back to the harbourside came about after its plight caught the attention of Weymouth business owner and diver Grahame Knott, who runs a company involved in protecting marine heritage – Deeper Dorset.

Mr Knott said he got involved in restoring and relocating the mine due to it being "part of the area's maritime history".

"That is what Deeper Dorset is all about," he added.

"The mine is now back on Trinity Street outside Bennet's Fish and Chip shop, chained to the wall for extra security. It is collecting money for the RNLI just as before."

Mr Knott said he and two other men - Mark Bennett of Bennett's Fish and Chips and Kevin Strickland, landlord of The Boot pub, clubbed together to pay for the mine to be repaired before being reinstated on the quay. As well as being given a makeover it also has a new plaque.

Mr Strickland said locals had voiced concerns after the mine disappeared from the quayside.

Another pub landlord, Rhos Thompson of the Wyke Smugglers, told of how the plan to rescue the mine was hatched on his premises.

"It's a Weymouth landmark," Mr Thompson said. "The conversation about its return came about at my pub, so I'm chuffed to bits that it's being brought back to the quay."

Chef at the Nothe Tavern Saxon Axe said: "I'm really glad the mine is back where it belongs."

As reported, in 2012 the mine was rolled away by thieves who unscrewed the bottom and stole charity cash of an unknown value.

Police commenting at the time said the mine was later found in a nearby alleyway.