Parents are being warned to check where their children are after youths were suspected of inhaling 'laughing gas'.

Discarded canisters of Nitrous Oxide, also known as 'NOS' or 'laughing gas', were found by police in Dorchester this week.

The psychoactive drug is illegal to sell in the UK and is a colourless gas that people inhale, usually via a balloon.

Police believe the drugs may have been taken by youths who were out of school during half term and have warned of the dangers of inhaling this drug, stating that '"people have died this way."

A Dorchester Police spokesman said: "A large quantity of NOS canisters were found in a residential area of Dorchester this week.

"It is possible these have been used by young people over the half term period. Have you known where your children are this week?

"The ASK FRANK website has good information for spotting signs of drug use and advice for parents.

"If you take too much nitrous oxide you risk falling unconscious and/or suffocating from the lack of oxygen. People have died this way."