A recently-used hairdryer left on a bed was found to be the cause of a fire in a flat in Weymouth this evening.

Just before 8.30pm Dorset & Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service received reports of a flat fire on Portland Road, Wyke Regis.

Two fire engines from Weymouth Fire Station attended and on arrival found a fire in a bedroom on the first floor.

The fire involved a hairdryer on bedding, and was extinguished by two firefighters in breathing apparatus using a hose reel.

The fire was under control just before 9pm.

The brigade says care should be taken to ensure that hot hairdryers are not placed on potentially flammable items in order to prevent fire.