A SAFE containing keys to Asda's home delivery vans was taken during an alleged overnight burglary at the Weymouth superstore - leaving 'hundreds' of customers waiting for their shopping.

Police later pulled a safe from nearby Weymouth Harbour.

An Asda staff member - who asked to remain anonymous - said: "Staff had to phone up all the customers and tell them their orders were cancelled. A lot of people relied on it, some were a bit upset and obviously unhappy. It would have affected nearly 200 customers.

"They borrowed a couple of vans from other stores and managed to get some of the deliveries out but it was all very manic.

"Obviously staff were all in shock. It was really out of the blue."

The staff member added: "I thought people were joking at first but then I saw two police cars and eight officers looking into the harbour and they fished it out.

"Fortunately by the following day everything was back to normal."

Asda's head office has apologised to those affected and said a 'small number' of customers were unable to rearrange their deliveries.

CCTV footage provided to police reportedly shows three people involved, with one standing outside keeping a lookout.

Dorset Police confirmed that a 34 year-old man was arrested on suspicion of burglary and has been released under investigation while enquiries continue.

A police spokesman said: "Dorset Police received a report at 3.30am on Thursday July 30 of a burglary at Asda on Newstead Road in Weymouth. It is reported that the burglary occurred between 1.15am and 1.40am the same day.

"A number of items were allegedly stolen, including two computer monitors, a box speaker, a safe and a number of handheld computer devices used by delivery drivers.

"Following enquiries, a safe was later recovered in the harbour.

"A 34-year-old man of no fixed abode was arrested on suspicion of burglary and has been released under investigation while enquiries continue."

An Asda spokesman said: "'We would like to apologise again to the small number of customers that were unable to rearrange their order due to this unforeseen circumstance.

"We are working with the local authorities in their investigations and can reassure our customers that we were back up and running as normal the following day.''