An 11-year-old was one of the first on scene when a caravan was destroyed by a fire.

Joel Stoker was at home in Seatown when he heard a big bang and rushed to Golden Cap Holiday Park.

“I walked out the front door to see all this smoke,” he said, “So I grabbed my camera and went to see what it was.

“The fire looked really big from all the black smoke and looked really close, so I was quite worried.

“It was a caravan on fire and there was nothing left of it, it was just flames. The firefighters weren’t there when I got there but I could hear the sirens.

“They arrived and were really quick, the fire was out in a matter of minutes.

“The campsite was quite busy, everyone was looking.”

The fire destroyed the caravan.

Martin Cox, director of West Dorset Leisure Holidays, which owns Golden Cap Holiday Park, said: “I can confirm that a touring caravan was destroyed by fire which we believe started in the oven.

“Our park team ensured the occupants were safe and called the fire service who extinguished the fire.

“Two people, including one member of the park team, were checked out for smoke inhalation by the ambulance service and all guests and park team are safe and well.

“The park quickly returned to normal and we thank everyone for their assistance.”

Both Bridport’s crews were called to the fire just before 11am on Thursday, August 6.

On arrival, a touring caravan was well alight, and the fire also caused heat damage to another caravan.

Firefighters used two hose reel jets and small tools to put out the fire and the two people who suffered from smoke inhalation were given oxygen. The ambulance service was also asked to attend.

The fire is under investigation.

A spokesman for Bridport Fire Station said: “With more of us choosing a staycation this year and opting for a camping holiday, it’s important to remember that you should still have safety measures in place, including carbon monoxide and smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and fire blankets. Ensure your caravan’s equipment, such as fridges or cookers, are serviced by a qualified person.

“If you are using a tent, never bring a barbecue inside to cook or to warm up. Even with a door open, and always site well away from your tent to avoid any accidental fires.”