A PERSON was treated by paramedics after a fire broke out in a flat's kitchen.

Firefighters from Dorchester and Weymouth responded to reports of a blaze at a property on High East Street in Dorchester at 10.57pm on Wednesday (October 14).

Fire engines blocked the road as crews entered the property to extinguish the blaze. 

An ambulance crew attended the scene and treated a resident for light smoke inhalation. 

A spokeswoman for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "We were called to High East Street in Dorchester at 10.57pm yesterday evening.

"We had three crews in attendance - two from Dorchester Fire Station and one from Weymouth Fire Station.

"The incident was within a block of flats and the fire was in a first-floor flat's kitchen.

"Two breathing apparatus wearers used one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

"Nobody was injured but one person had light smoke inhalation and was checked over by an ambulance crew.

"The fire was started accidentally." 

She added firefighters left the scene at 11.35pm.