A RESIDENT has been forced to move out of their flat after a fire, believed to have been started by a tealight candle, caused damage to the property.

As previously reported, a fire was discovered in the living room of a second-floor flat on Radipole Lane on Wednesday, which has left the flat's walls and ceiling damaged by smoke.

Firefighters from Weymouth and Portland fire stations were called to tackle the flames.

Aster Group, a housing association in Weymouth, owns the flat. A spokesman said: "We are aware of the fire at Westhaven House in Weymouth and we are relieved to hear that no one was injured during the incident.

"The cause of the fire has not yet been confirmed by the Fire Service and we are continuing to work with them as they carry out their investigations.

"Our local independent living team was onsite all day yesterday providing reassurance and support to our residents. While we look into the extent of the damage caused by the fire, we have moved one customer into a vacant flat within Westhaven House.

"We would like to take this opportunity to remind residents to regularly test smoke alarms and to be aware of any fire safety advice and fire escape routes in their homes."