FIREFIGHTERS from Dorset were called to extinguish a fridge freezer fire which caused "heavy smoke" inside a supermarket in Somerset.

A fire crew from Yeovil was called to Iceland in Ivel Square, based within the Quedam Shopping Centre in Yeovil, to initially respond to a sounding fire alarm at 11.54pm on Saturday (November 21).

Heavy smoke was spotted inside the locked supermarket, which meant firefighters had to forcibly enter the building.

Two fire engines from Sherborne, along with other fire crews from Yeovil, Crewkerne and Street, were called as breathing apparatus was required to enter the supermarket.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire was located within a fridge freezer that was totally destroyed.

“There was a further five per cent smoke damage to the building and light smoke damage to the entire stock.

“The fire was extinguished using three CO2 extinguishers, one dry powder extinguisher, six breathing apparatus and a positive pressure fan to clear the smoke. The cause of the fire was accidental.”

A spokesman for Iceland said the supermarket was closed throughout Sunday (November 22) to clean the store.

He said: "An electrical fault on a chiller triggered the store’s fire alarm. The only actual damage was to the chiller itself.”