ON READING the 'Have your say' page in the Echo'(Thursday December 17th) referring to the Atom bomb tests that took place in the 1950s, it occurred to me, that those that were there, ought o be at least presented by the Government with some form of written recognition.

I can understand the military's stance on this. They obviously consider that as uniform personnel, that to be present at these tests, was part of their remit as members of Her Majesty's Forces.

I do not know whether volunteers were asked for in respect of attending such tests? If that be the case then those that did so volunteer, deserve recognition.

If moreover they were National Servicemen, then they definitely deserve some sort of recognition. National Service was not a voluntary arm of the Armed Forces. Any young man, after reaching the age of 17, was called up for two years service.

National Service up until 1960, was compulsory. Unless the individual was declared unfit, or was at University or carrying out some vital form of employment.

Many National Servicemen caught up in conflicts around the world received the General Service Medal. As a matter of interest, did any non-combatant National Servicemen (i.e.) Stores, Admins, writers etc. ever get a medal for giving up two years of their lives for the service of their country by order of the Government?

If not then they too deserved an award. Is there is such a thing as a National Service Medal? I have no knowledge of one!

A. L. Hopper

Walpole Street