FIREFIGHTERS rushed to the scene of a chimney fire just outside of Dorchester yesterday.

A crew from Dorchester Fire Station were called out to reports of a chimney fire in Godmanstone at 3.36pm Saturday afternoon. When the team arrived there was still plenty of smoke coming from the chimney, but the bulk of the fire had been extinguished by the owner of the property before the firefighters arrived on the scene.

The team dug out the burnt materials from the property's wood burner and inspected the chimney stack and property with a thermal imaging camera.

According to Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, a clean chimney can help prevent fires and structural damage to your property. Regular cleaning of your chimney or flue will eliminate the build-up of soot and clear obstructions such as bird or animal nests, leaves and debris.

It is not enough to use a vacuum cleaner and you should make sure that your chimney or flue is inspected regularly.

For further information, visit