A MAN was flown to hospital by air ambulance with burn injuries after a fire took hold in a garden.

Two crews from Sherborne Fire Station were mobilised to the fire in South Avenue at around 6.30pm yesterday to help a man who had suffered burns.

Firefighters gave first aid to the casualty until the arrival of paramedics from South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust and Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance.

A spokeswoman from the Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "We were called to South Avenue, Sherborne at 6.26pm last night.

"Two crews from Sherborne attended and found a fire affecting the garden’s fence panels, which was extinguished using one hose reel jet.

"A man had suffered burns and was given first aid by firefighters."

A spokeswoman from Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance, said: "I can confirm the man, who was an adult, was flown by air ambulance to Southmead Hospital, in Bristol."