A MAN found dead at his home died after unintentionally taking an overdose of his medication, an inquest heard.

Luke Downton, aged 34, was sadly found deceased at his home in Eddison Avenue, Dorchester, on June 15 last year by police after concerns were raised by the local mental health team and family regarding his welfare.

An inquest at Bournemouth Town Hall concluded the cause of death was an accidental overdose of the anti-psychotic drug clozapine.

Mr Downton had been receiving treatment for schizophrenia since he was diagnosed at the age of 16 and was prescribed clozapine which he administered himself.

The hearing heard that the drug clozapine must be taken carefully and regularly. Community psychiatric nurse and Mr Downton's care coordinator, Lindsey Maunder, told the inquest that if a number of doses have been missed it is often advised by doctors that a patient should restart the medication by taking a lower dose before continuing to the regular dosage.

Mr Downton's mother, Michelle Downton, told the inquest she was in very regular contact with her son who lived alone and described him affectionately - she said he had a great interest in music and cooking.

She visited him to drop off some shopping on June 10. She said he was having difficulties concentrating, seemed agitated and "wasn't making any sense" when he was talking, which she said was "very unusual". After visiting him, Mrs Downton rang his mental health team to express her concerns.

Mrs Downton and Ms Maunder said that there was never any indication that Mr Downton would ever do anything to harm himself or take his own life.

Sgt Matthew Robinson of Dorset Police who found Mr Downton confirmed police found nothing suspicious. The pathologist, Dr Blahut, said Mr Downton's post mortem found an excess of clozapine in his system.

Senior coroner, Rachael Griffin said that there was no evidence that Mr Downton did intend to end his life and believed that despite him saying that he was taking his medication, his behaviour described by his mother and mental health team suggested he was not taking it.

The coroner said: "I believe he wasn't taking it and then started taking it again, and then sadly that led to his overdose. I believe his death was a tragic accident."

Addressing Mr Downton's parents, Mrs Griffin said: "I want to tell you how very sorry I am for your loss. I can't begin to imagine what you have been through. My thoughts are with you and all those who knew Luke."

The coroner concluded that Mr Downton's death was accidental.