A PORTLAND man who threatened police officers with a samurai sword and crossbow has been slapped with a two-year community order.

Benjamin Symonds used threatening behaviour while on the phone to a water company, which prompted armed police to respond to his home in East Weare Road on March 16.

Bournemouth Crown Court heard how Symonds threatened officers and harm to himself with a samurai sword and crossbow.

Dorset Echo: East Weare RoadEast Weare Road

Road closures were in place at the junction of Harbour View Road to allow police officers to engage with Symonds while keeping members of the public safe.

Symonds was arrested before 10.40pm and lashes out at police officers during the arrest. He later admitted to affray, assault by beating an emergency worker and two counts of common assault of an emergency worker.

Prosecutor Charlie Barrass-Evans told the court how Symonds 'lost his patience' and was 'abusive' during a telephone call with an operator of a water company.

Since his initial arrest, Symonds had been in custody at HMP Winchester for 77 days until his release on Wednesday.

Dorset Echo: Police outside Symonds' flat in East Weare RoadPolice outside Symonds' flat in East Weare Road

Mitigating, David Jenkins said: "He has been through hell and he's been let down by those close to him his entire life.

"He's a victim of child abuse at a young age and got into class A drugs at 20 years old. He suffers from chronic depression.

"Within his home he had access to a samurai sword and an antique crossbow.

"He hit the officers after they said they would take his weapons."

READ MOREMan threw jerry can full of petrol over neighbour's Poole home

Symonds appeared at Bournemouth Crown Court on Friday, April 16, but the case was adjourned to the judge requiring a mental health report.

Recorder Adam Feest QC said Symonds' behaviour was 'appalling to the officers who were just doing their job'.

Dorset Echo: Symonds was sentenced via a video link at Bournemouth Crown CourtSymonds was sentenced via a video link at Bournemouth Crown Court

He said: "Police officers should go about without being threatened with swords and crossbows.

"The behaviour displayed here was appalling to officers who were just going about doing their job."

Symonds' pleaded guilty to the offences at the first opportunity and his time in prison since the act was taken into account.

He was sentenced to a two-year community order, which includes 20 days of rehabilitation with a probation officer.

Symonds must also wear an electronic tag for one year, and must abide with a 6pm until 7am curfew at his home address for 12 months.

He must pay a victim surcharge of £90 and forfeiture and destruction was made for the weapons.